Dear Mom -
Do you remember when you baked Peeps for us last Easter? Did you place them on a rack on the pan? For some odd reason, that's what I remembered this year when I baked my own Peeps.
See, here they are, ready for the oven. (I had to sample one line of the purple bunnies to be sure they were of high enough quality to perform. I learned that I don't like raw Peeps - only frozen or baked Peeps for me.)
Fast forward 150-200 degrees and about 4-6 hours. This is the mess I made as I tried to re-create the perfect Peep.
They baked into and around the racks that I had so carefully placed on the pan to ensure even heat distribution. They were still crunchy, chewy, sugary, and yummy after I pried them off the rack with a crow bar (almost), but they no longer looked like Peeps, just a bunch of mangled sugar.
I noticed also, that after I had removed them from the oven and had eaten a few crunchy Peeps, the humidity began to affect them. The edges became soft and gummy while the centers stayed crispy. Interesting dynamic I found.
The morals of the story are:
1 - Line the pan with parchment paper, not metal racks when cooking Peeps.
2 - Cook them long enough to remove every last molecule of moisture for best results.
3 - Eat them fast so they don't get all soggy.
4 - Enlist help because eating three packages of Peeps by yourself is not good for the tummy or the waistline.
Friday, March 28, 2008
For my 100th post, a letter
Written with love by Amy at 7:41 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Amy, I laughed out loud at your pictures because I did exactly the same thing!!!!! then I remembered that last year I put them directly on the pan. However, I think the parchment paper is a great idea. Something new to try for next year. By the way, I did eat all three pkgs by myself. I think I will gladly wait a whole year before I eat another one!! ugh!! XOXO, mom
Post a Comment