Saturday, May 31, 2008

My poor baby

Yesterday morning before school, Emily wasn't feeling well. She had a runny nose and sore throat. I was thinking that probably the drainage was running down the back of her throat and irritating it. No big deal, right? Then I took her temperature and it was 100.3.

It was her school's Field Day yesterday, and she really, REALLY wanted to attend despite feeling cruddy. I medicated her with Ibuprofen and Claritin and sent her on her way only after she promised to drink as much water during the day as she could.

When she returned home at 4:15, she was pitiful. She told me she drank everything I sent with her and then some. Her cheeks were rosy, though, and her skin was hot and dry. I took her temp and it was 103.4. Not good. I gave more Ibuprofen and lots of water. Then, all on her own, she went up to her room and changed into pajamas.

The next time I saw her, this is what met my eyes:


She was in her winter night gown and had brought her bedspread down to the family room. She said she was freezing. Poor baby.

We've managed to reduce the fever, and she no longer complains of the sore throat - just stuffy nose and now a cough.

It makes me wonder if there was something yucky in one or both of the pools she swam in last weekend...

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Is she better yet?

Amy said...

Still a low grade fever, but fewer complaints otherwise.