We were blessed to be invited to a friend's home Thursday evening to enjoy good food,company and A/C. As we pulled around the corner of our street, we all let out a WHOOP! because all the lights in the house were ablaze. (This was one instance I wasn't bothered by the fact that I'm the only one in the family that knows there is no "light fairy" that turns off all the lights when you leave a room.) What a beautiful sight!!! We immediately went inside, closed all the windows and fired up the air conditioner. It was heaven.
I had been able to post since we returned last Tuesday by going to visit Chad's office in Pasadena where they have had power since the week right after the hurricane. I did more than just play, though. I've secured myself a second job at a temp agency. I'll get to accept assignments at other nursing homes and other assisted living facilities in the area for about $10 more per hour than my current job.
The kids returned to school this past Friday after missing 10 days. Apparently that is the limit to the number of days the district can waive following a natural disaster. This means that we won't completely miss out on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Spring Break. Because we had lots of things planned for each of those days off... Not really.
Now that I finally have my own computer set up (oh how I've missed it!), I'll be able to post pics of our evac-vacation in Tulsa, some of the damages here, and whatever else happens to be on the memory card.
Our neighbors on either side of our neighborhood kept their sense of humor about the loss of power for so many days. One had a fence section with "Welcome to Camp Hollow" painted on it. Another neighborhood had a sign that said, "Living without power - So easy a caveman can do it" as well as a sign that said "You loot, we shoot".
I know that loss of power for several days/weeks is only a nuisance to others that have lost everything, and I'm grateful for what we've been blessed with.
Sunday, September 28, 2008
I've got the POWER!!!
Written with love by Amy at 3:57 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Yeah power! Congratulations.
Post a Comment