Saturday, January 19, 2008

Now I feel old

Last night, despite the rain and forty degree temps, my husband and son embarked on their first Scout camping/hiking trip together. Thomas isn't quite twelve yet (not until April) but since Chad was going, he was able to tag along.

We spent yesterday afternoon packing both backpacks with all the supplies needed to stay warm and dry on this adventure. Lots of Hefty trash bags and Ziplocs were stuffed into all the side pockets. Everything was encased in plastic before the rest of the group arrived at our house before undertaking this damp and frigid journey.

At one point after all the other scouts and leaders had arrived, one scout , whose mother had called repeatedly during the afternoon to see if her child still had to follow through with this craziness, came up to me to persuade me of the folly of this trip. He kept telling me that the Bishop could make the final call and did they really have to make this trip? I asked him if he was the reason his mother kept calling me and laughed out loud when he said yes, it was his fault.

I know that in the end, Thomas will have a great time hiking and spending time with the other scouts, but it was still hard to see them drive off with my boy. I don't know that Thomas has ever told me goodbye so many times with so many hugs. I guess it was a little hard for him too...

1 comments:

Craig said...

Hey there,
That sounds like a lot of fun, even if the temps were "frigid."

See if they want to come up here and make the same trip. I think the high on Sunday was 3 above.

Sad this is that Dad probably did make those trips when he was a kid.
:)