This new year I have made more of an effort to keep my diet gluten free due to my intolerance for wheat gluten. I have been trying new things and was really excited to find a bread mix at the store. I've had it for a while, each day thinking, tomorrow I won't be so tired and I'll make it.
The day finally came today. A whole Saturday filled with time and less fatigue than normal. I followed all the directions on the back of the package and was surprised that the dough was so sticky and wet when it was placed in the pan to rise. I let it rise for the prescribed amount of time (it barely reached the top of the pan) before I placed it in the oven. At this point, my hopes weren't very high. I was just hoping I didn't end up with another brick like the last time I tried to make gluten free bread.
I checked through the oven window about 40 minutes into the baking time and was shocked. The bread was at least twice the height of the pan. (Good thing I had taken the other oven rack out.) I placed foil over to prevent overbrowning the crust and let it bake for the remainder of the time.
This is my finished product. I can't wait until it's cool enough to eat. I already have hard boiled some eggs to make egg salad sandwiches for dinner while the rest of the family gets some kind of frozen, breaded chicken.
Saturday, January 19, 2008
Something new
Written with love by Amy at 3:56 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Hey Amy, I recognized those loaf pans from my childhood when I would come in the back door from school and grandma would have loaves of homemade bread on the counter. Hope the bread was good and you can feel like you don't have to miss out on bread. I really admire you for sticking to your gluten-free diet. I think I'd have to slit my wrists!!! Hmmmmmmm, egg salad sounds really good right now. Thanks for the dinner idea!!!
Post a Comment