Thursday, February 14, 2008

Don't be deceived

This was not nearly as delicious as it looks.



It was supposed to be a Ding Dong cake - one of my most tasty mistakes. At least that's what my family tells me anyway.

The story of the Ding Dong cake is as follows. One Sunday, for a kid's birthday, I was making a 9x13 chocolate cake. When I turned it out from the pan onto the serving platter, a huge crack appeared running almost the entire length of the cake. I didn't have time to make a new cake, so was lucky enough to have some cool whip on hand. I filled the crack with the cool whip and frosted the entire cake with chocolate frosting. I don't think I had ever had so many people enjoy dessert as they did that Sunday. Ever since then, I get requests for Ding Dong cakes for birthdays.

I thought I would be really creative and make a cake that I could eat using some of my gluten free flour. It baked beautifully, smelled divine, and looked wonderful. I could barely wait until birthday time to take a bite.

I served the birthday girl first, the other two kids, then Chad. While I was cutting my own piece and getting some ice cream, I asked Chad how the cake was. He didn't answer and I thought it was because he was watching tv. I joined him and repeated my question. He told me that he had heard my question, but didn't want to be rude in answering. He wasn't terribly impressed and only ate one bite.

Then I took my first bite of this cake I had been longing for. It was horrible! I couldn't believe that anything that could smell and look so good could be so awful. Fortunately, though, Katelyn loved it. She even ate two pieces for breakfast this morning. Maybe she'll eat the last piece after school and I won't have any reminders left of this horrible cake.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your story reminds me of this one time when Jennelle made what she thought was going to be some delicious chocolate cake for some visiting relatives and instead of using 2 teaspoons of salt she used 2 table spoons. She too was taken a little aback when she wasn't heralded with compliments and instead was met with silence when she inquired how everyone was enjoying thier dessert.

Amy said...

Hey!!! I remember that!