Sunday, February 24, 2008

Who would have thought?

I ate the most beautiful thing for breakfast and dinner on Saturday. Who could imagine the sheer joy that a humble peanut butter and jelly sandwich could bring? It was wonderful. I had completely forgotten how much I loved the Welch's Concord Grape Jelly. It was so sweet and perfect with the peanut butter and bread.



As you can see, this bread turned out waaaaay better than my first attempt, shown here. The texture was good, though more dense than something you would buy at the grocery store. Flavor is so much better than other gluten free things I have experimented with.

When I began, the consistency of the dough was similar to last time - soft and sticky. I truly thought I was going to burn out the motor in my mixer if I had to mix it any longer. Fortunately, the timer went off, so I could quit.



Then, I scooped it into my pan and let it rise. It came up to just above the top of the pan, but I was not discouraged like last time. I had faith that this would grow into a montrous loaf of bread like the last one did.



I kept the other rack out of the oven just in case my bread grew like the last one did, and I was sure glad I did. This is what it looked like when it was done baking.



As it cooled, it condensed and shrunk. Thank goodness. That would have been a huge sandwich! Then it was cool enough to slice and there were no huge holes. No cavernous waste spaces. Just perfect for toast and sandwiches. It was lovely.




My next attempt will likely come from a website I found, GlutenFreeMama.com. They have a wonderful sounding flour blend that I could use and a cookbook with all kinds of things that sound tasty.

I will, of course, post the results of my further experimentation.

1 comments:

Laurie said...

Can you eat spelt? I just read where someone was experimenting with recipes using spelt. http://turkeyfeathers.typepad.com