Thursday, May 22, 2008

Call of (Civic) Duty

I always thought it would be interesting to serve jury duty. I helped Chad pick a jury for a custody case he had, and that was pretty cool.

I have only ever received one jury summons, though. I got it when we lived in our 800 square foot shack with three babies and one car. No way I was going to be able to pull that off, even though I wanted to give it a try.

So when I received a summons a couple of weeks ago, I was pretty excited. The letter informed me that I was "hereby summoned to appear at ... the Municipal Court ... to serve as a prospective juror in the Council Chambers... Please arrive at least 5 minutes early as juror qualification will begin promptly at 9:15am., with no exceptions." Pretty stern wording.

I got up today, got kids off on the bus, and proceeded to get ready for my big day. I arrive at the Municipal Court early, as advised. A woman was waiting in the lobby to check the prospective jurors off her list. After my name had been checked, I was informed that I could leave. There were no trials scheduled for today.

What a let down! Here I had cleared my entire day for this. I even put make up on and shaved my stinkin' legs! Now I'm all dressed up with no where to go and it's only 9:22am. Hey, jury qualification should be taking place right now.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

I like your tunes. I'm going to find some NKOTB song next. Maybe Vanilla Ice too. Like my profile pic?

Craig said...

I have been summoned twice and served on one jury. It was fun, but the deliberations were the most frustrating thing I have ever done. How to convince an ignorant, biased woman that the defendant, whose fingerprints were all over the crack cocaine, actually intended to sell the little baggies not just keep them for a friend...

Geesh!

Nice profile Linds. Literally..