Monday, July 21, 2008

I'm back, baby!

We returned home from YW camp on Saturday and I, for one, am still recovering. It's hard to feel rested when you stay up until 2am playing cards almost every night for a week. (Thanks Beth, Ginger, and Vera!)

Camp was so much fun this year. Last year I hesitated before committing to return. This year there was no hesitation. I will come back as long as they let me.

I am in charge of making sure all the second year girls get certified. I oversee the JC's and make sure they teach all the aspects of second year certification correctly. I had such a GREAT group of JC's this year. They really made the week fun for me and the other girls.

I finally got to see Katelyn after more than two weeks when she arrived at camp. We missed each other at home by appx. 15 hours. It was really good to see her again and hear about all the fun things she did in Idaho and Utah. She got to go tubing down a river, climb a rock wall, go to the zoo, and about a zillion other things that I can't recall right now. What a blast!

This was day one of camp where everyone met for the first time. My JC's came up with some fun games so the girls could get to know each other a little better. I forget the rules to this one, but it involved shifting to the right and if the person next to you didn't shift, you sat in their lap. One group was stacked 4 deep!


For our skit, Katelyn was Miss Bad Works. She wouldn't help this nice old lady that had fallen. Check out her body angle. There was no way she was even going to be touched!


At the end of certification each day, there was usually some downtime. My JC's always had a fun game to play. This is one they had learned at EFY earlier this summer. I know the video missed some of the funniest parts, but it is still pretty silly.


On Friday, the girls were able to pass off either a half mile or mile swim. Katelyn, of course, chose to go for the entire mile. Here she is on lap number seven out of sixteen.


During the last day of certification, we learned about fires. Can anyone tell what kind of fire this would be? (criss cross fire, of course)


After certification was over, things got serious. The war paint and weapons came out and everyone prepared for the impending battle. (One of my JC's brought face paint and about 250 water balloons. It wasn't nearly enough! We ended up using the hose as well to be sure that everyone was sufficiently wet.)





Friday night was Bishop's night, so Chad got to come up to see us in all our glory. It was a really great evening. The spirit was so strong and the girls each could feel it's presence.

Overall, the week was a smashing success. I hope all my JC's join me to do certification again next year. They were so much fun and made sure the girls enjoyed camp also.

Till next year...

0 comments: