Monday, August 18, 2008

A decidedly UN-gluten free birthday

We were finally able to celebrate August birthdays with all the Bradshaws finally home together yesterday. I traded my original assignment to bring dessert and brought two birthday cakes and ice cream.

Emily got to choose Funfetti for her cake and frosting. She loved being able to help make the cake and then to decorate it completely on her own.

Chad got a cake that Lindsay had directed me to. One of her friends, Becky, blogged about a chocolate peanut butter cake that sounded perfect for Chad. From Becky's introduction, I went to Bakerella's modified version which looked like this:
After seeing this picture, I knew I had to make this cake for Chad. So then I went to the original recipe found on Parents.com and printed it out to use as a blue print.

In case you couldn't tell from the Bakerella pic, this is a pretty time intensive recipe. All those pb cups needed to be chopped. I bought a 40 oz bag of Reese's mini cups and used almost all of it. You can't even really tell that there are two cups of pb cups chopped and baked into the cake. Then there was the dark chocolate peanut butter ganache instead of a regular frosting. Chad thought I had been inspired by all the Food Network challenges I like to watch after hearing the word "ganache". HA!

So this was what my finished version looked like:
One of my sisters-in-law ended coming back to the kitchen for more ice cream to eat with this cake. Something about needing something to dilute the chocolate, or something like that. Silly girl. (So how many times can YOU use the word "something" successfully in a sentence?)

I was very pleased with myself, though. My hands were covered with chocolate cake, ganache, ice cream, and funfetti and I never once licked my fingers - not even after I had served everyone.

Apparently, the cake was pretty good, but until I attempt a gluten free version, I will never really know.

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

Why wasn't I there for that one??? Dang it!! That looks AWESOME!!! I want some soosooo bad!

Becky said...

Sorry you couldn't eat the cake! It really is incredibly rich, chocolate heaven. Can you believe how many peanut butter cups you used, your cake looked awesome.

Amy said...

Linz, we'll have to get together next August. I've already told kids that I'm only making this cake once a year for Chad's birthday.

Becky, thanks for the inspiration!

Unknown said...

you are totally invited to my birthday, as long as you bring that cake with you. if you fail to come i will arrange for jennelle to send you some salty-chocolte-cake as punishment.

Amy said...

Unless it's gluten free, I won't be able to take the punishment, though. :)

Joseph, Cherise, and Colton said...

Id have to say its the best cake ive ever had! I love Peanut butter cups!