I have always loved to read. Always. I remember setting up a library under my bed, complete with bookends, a stamp to mark each of my books, and a flashlight. Growing up, I would read whenever I had the chance - by streetlight through my bedroom window, under the bed with a flashlight, whenever, wherever.
I remember once going to the drug store to pick up a few things I needed one evening before I was married. I walked through the aisles, collecting things as I went, remembering that I only had money for a few specific things.
Then, I turned down the book aisle and what did I see? My then favorite author's new book had just been released in paperback. I immediately replaced all the other things I "needed" and purchased my copy of this book. I went home, shut myself in my room, got comfortable in my rocking chair and read. I barely blinked until after I had finished reading the book around 3-4 the next morning. I loved the book and completely enjoyed my evening. Apparently I wasn't working the next day.
Fast forward fifteen years, and not much has changed. I've recently begun reading Stephenie Meyers "Twilight" series. I read the first book, "Twilight", in July and purchased the second before our trip to Tulsa. I started reading the second book, "New Moon", yesterday and couldn't stop. I pulled myself away long enough to attend our ward's skating party, but as soon as we returned home, my nose was back in the book.
After the kids were in bed, I checked the clock and determined that I would only read until midnight. That would give me plenty of time to sleep and still be ready on time in the morning. You may already have guessed the end of this story. I neglected to check the clock again until I had completed the book, around 3:30am. I guess I am officially a:
I just need to keep an eye on their reading habits. Katelyn and Thomas are both showing an awful lot of the tendencies I exhibited growing up in this regard. I need to be sure that what they are reading is worthwhile.
1 comments:
We will have to share addiction stories. I read the first one, passed it to Tammy who ended up reading ALL FOUR books in 7 days.
I have them downloaded on my iPod, and am now in the middle of book 3.
Good stories! Can't wait for the movie on 12/12/08.
-Craig
Post a Comment