Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Philmont contacts

I received a phone call from Philmont today. Actually, I received about five phone calls, it seemed, from Philmont today.

Chad called this morning to let me know that their group had completed their trek and had returned to the base camp. I didn't expect that to happen until later this afternoon. Anyway, when I asked if this meant that he'd be coming home earlier, he told me no. I guess they have to keep to their original itinerary no matter what.

The second call was to catch up on things going on at home and at church since he's been released as Bishop. I told him what I could remember about church and learned that we had come to the same conclusions about the results of the day. He is officially a member of the High Council again. I wonder what assignments the Stake President has in mind for him.

Another call was to play the musical birthday card I had sent in the package the Bishop's wife had sent. It was pretty funny to hear the theme from "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" played very loud for all to hear.

Then there was the inquiry to whether he'd received any mail concerning a mission call for one of his scouts. We played like I actually had received a letter from Salt Lake and was opening it before this guy who was expecting it could. Of course no such letter had come, but it was fun to play like Chad was going to know first where he was going to spend the next two years of his life.

The last call, and I may have separated topics into separate calls accidentally, was to find out what Philmont souveneirs he should get for kids. It sounded like our guys had pretty much taken over the shop as they purchased items to take home with them.

What a fun way to spend for Chad's birthday. I was able to talk more to him today than in the previous 13 days combined.

Now, he just needs to get home safely. Then all will be right with the world.

0 comments: