Our local grocery store has been running a special lately where you can buy a bag of apples and get a bag of caramels for free with the theory that caramel apples would be the logical reason for the purchase. I have taken advantage of this deal many times and have NEVER made caramel apples.
Today, just like last week, I got my apples and caramels. Instead of eating the caramels while I was surfing and packing the apples in lunches for kids, I struck a deal with Katelyn. She kept saying how she wanted us to attend her "Meet the Teacher" night at her school tonight. We agreed that in exchange for blowing off her school activity, we would stay home, make caramel apples, and watch "Legally Blonde".
By the time we had read our scriptures, I was ready to bail on the whole idea because I was so tired. I'm really glad I didn't, though. It was pretty fun to make them. Kids liked to help and then eat the fruits of their labors.
First, we all washed our apples thoroughly and wrote names on our sticks so as to not get things confused. Confusion is a REALLY bad thing around here.
Next the kids unwrapped the entire bag of caramels and put the candy in Grandma's old, heavy pan and I added the prescribed 2 Tbs of water.
It really took a long time to melt while needing to be stirred almost constantly. What a pain. It was about here that I was ready to pass out spoons and let the kids have at it.
Then when it was all melted and smooth, each kid dipped their own apple and rolled it around. Katelyn was first and was very careful to get caramel onto the entire surface of the apple.
Then Emily had a turn.
And finally it was Thomas's turn.
Here they are all ready to go into the fridge to cool.
Some were stickier than others.
Don't they look happy with their treat?
After the treat and during her movie, Katelyn challenged her Dad to a friendly game of checkers. Fortunately, there was no weeping, wailing, or gnashing of teeth. All good signs.
This is definitely an activity I would repeat. Next time, though, a kid should be the one to stand at the stove and stir the darn candy!
Monday, October 20, 2008
Fun Fall FHE
Written with love by Amy at 9:19 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Looks like fun and there is nothing like a good treat to make everyone hadve a good time...we had cooked chocolate pudding tonight and the kids were so good once they heard a treat was on the way.
My wacko kids don't like cooked pudding. Something about the skin, my very favorite part.
Weirdos...
your kids dont like the pudding skins?! now what am i going to get them for Christmas? so, i like how your girls were careful to include their last names on their sticks, so as to deter any other katelyns or emilys that may have wandered into your kitchen looking for carmel apples.
Looks like a yummy treat. I would have tried to get as much of the caramel on my apple as possible.
Good thing you didn't eat up too many of them while you were surfing. There is nothing like a skimped-on-caramel apple.
-Craig
Don't ya just love a good, fun night with the fam? Treats look yummy... think we might give it a try!
Post a Comment