Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Gluten Free grocery store?

Not an entire store, just a section, but it's a start. Though it may have been there for a while, I just noticed Monday that my local grocery store has a GF section. That's where they keep my Blue Diamond Nut Thins, cookies, bread mixes, and all other kinds of goodies.

At first, I was thrilled. No more searching the entire store for the one thing I was looking for. Then, I was disturbed. As I looked closely at the packaging, I noticed "bleached white flour". I thought maybe the company had bleached brown rice flour or done something else while keeping the product GF. Then I read the label. The first ingredient was bleached WHEAT flour. WTH?!?!? In the GF section no less. This is definitely something I will bring to the manager's attention.

Proof positive that while progress is being made towards the awareness of gluten free needs in my community, it is no substitution for vigilance. Just a reminder to always read the labels...

0 comments: