Saturday, October 11, 2008

Project #2

How many remember this kitchen stool from Grandma's house? I remember sitting on it in Grandma's kitchen, next to the microwave, licking a HUGE rainbow sucker that Great Aunt Hazel had given me and watching Mom talk to Grandma and Great Aunt Hazel. I also remember that there was always a fight over who got to sit on it at dinner time because there never seemed to be enough chairs when we came to visit.

I was so excited to be able to bring these memories home with me last year after Grandpa passed away. I was not so excited to notice that the green plastic that covered the back and seat was always sticky. It didn't matter how much I scrubbed. It didn't matter how much or little humidity was in the air. It always felt yucky and sticky. Soooo, it hasn't really been used, until now.

I finally found some really pretty fabric to re-cover the seat and back with. I also made sure I picked up some clear vinyl so the fabric would stay clean when kids used it for whatever purpose they see fit, appropriate or not.

Because you are all dying to know more about the miraculous transformation that occurred in my kitchen this afternoon, here's how I did it.

First, I gathered my supplies.


Then I had to take the chair apart. Here I've removed the back of the stool and the seat. The yellow sponge-y material was so old it turned to powder as I removed it.



Then I scrubbed down the frame and all the separate parts. I think I washed away at least 30 years of spills, dirt, and who knows what else. It was a little icky.


Then I cut three layers of materials - fabric, vinyl, and batting, to fit the back of the stool first. Then I had to line up the fabric (Why in the HECK did I pick striped material?!? I remember specifically thinking I wanted a random pattern that I wouldn't have to worry about.) and stretch it to fit over the edges. This is where Katelyn and a roll of packing tape came in handy.


Here is the finished back. I was mildly surprised to note the stripes lined up pretty well. Woo hoo!


Next came the seat.


This is the lovely-ness I removed from my kitchen stool.


And here is my beautiful finished product. Not to shabby for an afternoon's work.

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

That is genuis! It looks great! I love having things of Grandma's. It makes me feel like part of her is still with us!

Amy said...

I make her caramels in a pot I received. It's just like you baking her banana bread in her pans - part of her is still here with us.

Mark Youngs said...

What a great job! We didn't have that stool when I was little. I sat on a wooden stool that went with the old wooden kitchen set. (It used to be yellow, and then was painted that ugly beige like the kitchen set.) Anyway, the "new" stool looks great. You're brave to tackle such a job. It really warms my heart to hear you and Lindsay comment on having grandma's things with you and how you remember her. I love her and I love that you love her too. XOXO, mom

Unknown said...

Congratulations! That looks like it would have been "fun". I'm sure I would have toiled over getting the lines straight myself. Heck, I probably would have pulled out a ruler and some graph paper to ensure my desired results! Your end result looks great. Do you have any plans to update the green paint around the stool/footrest?

Amy said...

No plans to update the paintjob that came with the stool. I like the green and made sure the fabric would coordinate with it.

At the point of covering the pieces, I was so beat that I would have just been happy with "close", nevermind straight and even. Fortunately, it worked out.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What an improvement! I also love the arrangement of the furniture - though it may have looked good before! But, as my Aunt says, "A change is as good as a rest!"