Sunday, December 7, 2008

Monarch Migration Update

Remember the cocoon I photographed on November 14, the week I was sick? Here is a reminder.

This is the same one. I love how you can see the pattern of the butterfly wings through the chrysalis. I had been meaning to post a follow up photo, but just hadn't done it yet. It took less than a month for this transformation.

I finally took this pic this afternoon after church. What was really cool was that less than two hours after I took this pic, the butterfly had emerged and was drying it's wings in the late afternoon sun. Such a neat thing to watch in our own front yard.

Now, we have a new one to watch. I'm not certain when this was created, but it looks to be progressing quite well.

And, as promised, the "After" pic of the milkweed. At one point, I think Emily counted upwards of 30 caterpillars munching on our milkweed leaves.