Monday, March 2, 2009

Here's a doozie!

So, I've worked at my nursing home since I graduated. I have always loved my job taking care of the residents.

Last year, you may remember, I filled in as Director of Nursing until we hired someone else on. Even though it was offered, I wasn't comfortable with accepting the position full time. I just didn't feel that I knew enough.

Now, our current DON has submitted her 30 day notice with her last day scheduled for this Friday. I had originally arranged with her to fill in again until someone else was hired. I had no intention of sitting behind that desk again.

My administrator has repeatedly requested that I take the position, but I never felt comfortable with it. The bottom line is that the timing was never right, until now. We have an amazing Asst. DON. She and I have very similar ways of looking at things ~ staffing, pt care, etc. We would be working closely to make sure all is well with the residents.

Today, I accepted the position of Director of Nursing. On the one hand, I'm really excited about the potential I have to improve the lives of our residents. On the other hand, I'm a little scared to death.

I'm really excited about this new opportunity and am looking forward to learning a lot!

3 comments:

Angela S said...

Hey congratulations! I'm glad the timing was finally right for you!

Craig said...

Hey! Congrats on your promotion. So now mom isn't the only brain surgeon in the family. Not only that, but you are the Head Brain Surgeon.

Is that on your business cards?

Kristen said...

Congrats.You'll do an amazing job.